Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I’m Terribly Sorry: Part One



                “I’m sure you’re wondering why I have you chained to a chair in my keep. You may be wondering why I had my trusty man Hump here crack you over the head as you left the inn and bring you here. I assure you I am not here to harm you. I am going to make you an offer that is so crazy that you would not listen to me if I did not have you chained to a chair.”
                “I don’t know about that. I usually try to keep an open mind about things,” said the traveler.
                “Trust me you wouldn’t believe this,” Dark Francis coolly replied.
                “And what’s that?”
                “Eternal life.”
                “Not possible,” said the traveler rolling his eyes.
                “But it is true. I’ve studied all the texts of the great minds of Ramora. They had the secret, but their civilization was destroyed and the secrets of their texts lost to the ages, until now. I’ve translated the texts and uncovered the secret of eternal life.”
                “Preposterous.”
                “This is my offer. You can say yes and drink this potion,” Dark Francis said removing a small green vial he held concealed in his cloak. “Or, you can say no thank you and we’ll send you on your way with a few coins in your pocket for your troubles.”
                “No thank you then,” said the traveler.
                “Think of it eternal life just as you are, walking the world for thousands of years, amassing the knowledge of generations. You would be like a god.”
                “I’m still saying no. Now let me go and give me the money you promised.”
                “Are you sure?”
                “Yes, I am sure.”
                “Hump.”
                “Yes, sir.”
                “Open his mouth.”
                Hump grabbed the poor traveler’s face forcing his mouth open, while Dark Francis poured the contents of the vial down his throat.
                “You should feel the effects momentarily,” Dark Francis said taking a step back.
                Hump released the traveler, who coughed loudly and then started to convulse. They watched him shake violently in his restraints for a minute and then the man went limp.
                “How do you feel?” Dark Francis asked, but there was no reply. Dark Francis approached the man and shook him gently, but the man could not be woken. “That’s strange I was sure I had everything correct in the recipe.”
                As he spoke, he more closely examined the vial in his hand.
                “Silly me this is the poison I was looking for earlier. You know it’s never where you expect it. Hump could you do me a favor and bring me someone else to test the potion on.”
                Hump sighed loudly and began his trip to the village.

No comments:

Post a Comment