Friday, January 18, 2013

I’m Terribly Sorry: Part Two



            “This one smells terrible Hump,” Dark Francis said, covering his nose with his robe sleeve to block out the smell emanating from the disheveled soul that Hump had just dragged into his sanctuary.
            “It’s not my fault you killed the last one,” Hump retorted.
            “It was an accident.”
            “Well it’s not so easy to just grab someone else in the middle of the night. Everyone’s gone home.”
            “Let go of me! Let go of me! I demand that you unhand me!” cried the man.
            “Calm yourself stranger. Hump was only kidding. I have a proposition for you,” Dark Francis said.
            “What kind of proposition?” the man asked.
            “I’ll give you a gold coin to drink what’s in this vial,” Dark Francis said bringing a clear glass vial into view, which contained a semi-translucent purple liquid.
            “What is it?” said the man eying it suspiciously.
            “It’s a new health elixir I’ve been working on,” Dark Francis said. “It will make you strong and healthy.”
            “Well if it won’t hurt me,” said the man taking the vial.
            The man drank the contents in one choking gulp.
            The three of them waited a minute, but there seemed to be no immediate affects.
            “How do you feel?” asked Dark Francis.
            “A little sick to tell you the truth sir,” the man said.
            “Very well here’s a few coppers,” Dark Francis said.
            “Hey! Now wait just a damn minute! You said a gold coin,” the man said, his nostrils flaring and his face turning bright red.
            “Oh did I? I sometimes exaggerate, but if you don’t like my generous offer you can always negotiate with Hump here. But he isn’t as unstinting as I am.”
            The man took one look at Hump and accepted the coppers gratefully.
            The man left the keep clutching his stomach to try to ward of the invisible knives that pierced him with each shaky step. His body lost energy with each passing moment until finally he crawled his way into the light of the village inn’s doorway before passing out completely.
            The Innkeeper finally stumbled upon the man in the pale light of the morning when he went to clean the litter and refuse from his doorstep.
            “Are you all right? What’s wrong?”
            The collapsed man’s pale milky eyes caught the orange blaze of the morning as his teeth closed around the Innkeeper’s neck, cutting off the faint beginnings of a scream.
            Back at the Tower Keep, Dark Francis paced around his inner sanctum contemplating how he had gone wrong.
            “I was sure that formula was perfect Hump. There should have at least been some sort of reaction. We’ll just have to continue our work after a little rest.”
           

No comments:

Post a Comment